Application & Admissions
Thank you for your interest in Class Afloat!
More than 1500 Class Afloat students from around the world have had the unique and life-changing experience of completing academic courses while sailing a majestic tall ship - all while developing as individuals, excelling as leaders, forging lifelong friendships, and exploring the world.
If you would like to learn more about becoming one of these Class Afloat students, please review the admissions information contained in this section or contact us at any time. We would be happy to answer your questions about our programmes and admissions process, or put you in touch with an alumni or alumni family member in your area who can share their experiences.
We are currently accepting applications for the second semester of the 2014-15 school year and for the 2015-16 school year.
Application and Admissions Process
1. Application Package
To apply to Class Afloat - West Island College International, please submit the following to the Class Afloat office:
- A completed application form (download the Application Package here)
- Application fee ($250 CAD) to be submitted with application form
- Two personal reference forms (included in the Application Package)
- A completed medical form, including blood type - completed and returned to Class Afloat by a physician (included in the Application Package)
- A certified lifeguard’s attestation that the candidate can swim 200 meters followed by 20 minutes of treading water (download the Official Swim Test Form here)
- A copy of all transcripts from grade 9 to present (including current term report card)
- Personal Resume/ CV
- 300 word essay describing what they expect to gain from their Class Afloat experience and how he/ she expects to contribute to the school community
- Once we have received the above information, a staff member will contact your client to have a phone interview.
- This interview lasts between 20 and 30 minutes and is designed to determine whether the student is suitable for the Class Afloat programme.
- A second, follow-up interview may be arranged.
- Those students who truly wish to join Class Afloat and whose values and behavior will align with a group of responsible young people will be invited to join.
- Qualified students are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
3. Acceptance and Contract
- After a successful application and interview(s), Class Afloat will issue an acceptance letter and contract, as well as an Acknowledgement of Risk Statement, and International Travel Consent of Parent/ Guardian Form.
- The contract and forms should be signed and returned to Class Afloat within three weeks, along with a registration deposit (as outlined in the contract).
4. Student Preparation
- After Class Afloat receives the signed contract and deposit, the student will complete and return the required pre-voyage forms in the Parent and Student Handbook, as well as provide the additional required documentation and complete the required processes (uniforms, insurance, university textbooks) as outlined by Class Afloat.
- Class Afloat will provide advice and assistance with the completion of these forms and processes.